Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Safe Harbor Visit & Project Ideas


Safe Harbor Meeting
Last Wednesday our class went to Greenville to meet with our client Safe Harbor, our contact is Julie Meredith she started the meeting by telling us about how Safe Harbor operates, rules, and answered any other questions that we had about the organization. She also told us of their Megan’s project that they are in the process of changing the name too REP. Some things that she said they need help with is their Facebook page they want it to be focused on teens so it is a place for them to get information. They also wanted ideas for their new website they want this to be a site that is friendly for teens and adults. She stressed that they would like to come up with new information not the same generic information she would like to have attention grabbers that really can help teens and parents, and that they would also like to connect will college students as well.
Project Idea One:
            I think a good idea for a project would be to have some kind of educational program at Clemson. I feel that we could get a big turnout if we got Greek Life to help sponsor it. However this would not only be something for them it would be open to all students, I just know that fraternities and sororities have to attend a good many of these kind of programs every year. I think to promote this at Clemson the best way would be to set up on the Library bridge I know everyone hates those people but I feel that it works. We could also talk to some of the local radio stations and see about getting the event talked about and newspapers.
Project Idea two:
            I know we talked about this already at Safe Harbor, but I think getting the football team to wear all purple is a really good idea. I think by doing this we would get the attention and the word spread about domestic violence to a mass amount of people. Getting in touch with the right people is going to be the key at getting this one done but it is doable. I think if we are able to do this we could get the announcers to tell why they are wearing all purple also if we did this in October we could get them to tell about the DV events that are going on. By doing this we could possibly get sponsors to help with funding. 

4 comments:

  1. I think we are all on board with an on campus event in Tillman! Greeks could speak to other chapters prior to the speaker as well as promote the drink night idea we have. Hillary talked about having it at Tiger Park which I think would be a good idea, but that would be more expensive because we would have to rent a space...purple out is something I am also on board with. I was thinking homecoming weekend...Auburn is quickly approaching and I don't think that we could get everything together in time for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purple out idea would be awesome if we could make it happen! I feel like Dabo and Clemson athletics would already be on board for a purple out and the fact that it would raise awareness for a good cause would be something they'd like as well. I know Dabo is super involved in a lot of things and as a football program I am sure it would make the Clemson team look great to support a cause like this. It seems like with all of the resources our classmates have to pull from that we could get a lot done for Safe Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the radio station idea! I am actually in the process of contacting 2 radio stations where I know the main hosts to talk to them about advertising the cause and getting me in the door for some other stations to do the same...The radio is definitely a great way to create awareness and maybe even sponsors or donations could be an outcome...with everyones help and random connections we can all get the word out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too think that the radio station idea is good. The use of the radio station could help to raise awareness of the issue in of itself but could also be used to advertise an event involving greek life. I like this idea as well because of the sheer number of students involved in greek life at Clemson. I also think that if greek life is required to attend events such as this already it ought to be pretty easy to set it up.

    ReplyDelete