Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chapters 5 &7 Changing Industry and Good Media Coverage


This weeks reading of chapter 5 tells about the fast pace of media change in our society. One major change that not only news but also businesses have had to adapt to is the Internet. I feel that these changes are for the best it allows us to find a huge amount of information in a matter of minutes. I think that this part of the chapter really relates to the work that we have been doing with Safe Harbor. By using Internet tools such as Facebook, Twitter, and Blogs we are able to reach a wide range of readers to spread awareness. I also had a media idea for Safe Harbor when I was reading the chapters was talking about using Magazines for ads; I think this is a great idea. In Greenville there is a magazine called Greenville Business Magazine I think that Safe Harbor should run an ad in here because this magazine is really in every waiting room in Greenville. I feel that by doing this they would be targeting the areas that they help and would spread awareness to people that do not know about their services.  Overall I think that Safe Harbor is up to date on the changes that are being made in media it seems that they do a good job with keeping up their web page and with there other social media networking pages.

In chapter 7 it seems that the point is that you have to stay on top of the press the fact is that they are not going to come ask you for a story about you organization. Most of the time the press is in contact with tons of people every day who are trying to do the same thing you are get their story heard. I really liked the section that talked about how you should keep a good press list; I think that the digital press list is the best way to do this. Although I have never had to keep a press list, I have had to keep a list of many important names and numbers with my Internship with the Senators office I always had to call people and create relationships with these people so that they would be willing to help me when the time comes. Many of these contacts came from my dad and other co-workers that I built to form my own relationships. If there is one thing that I found is important when doing this is that you make sure you contact these people regularly don’t let them forget you and always help them if needed. I think that having connections such as these really helped our homecoming group with our project for Safe Harbor. Seeing that our group has had to work rapidly to get things in line to execute our work I don’t think that this would have been possible if not for the connection that we all have with the right people that either could answer questions that we had or tell us who we need to contact.  Overall I feel that chapter 5 and 7 in SCFN is a really helpful guide in establishing and better media press list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment